Wednesday 6 June 2007

Oat Biscuits - U, E, W

There seems to be an unending debate about whether oats should be eaten by those on a gluten-free diet. One thing that is agreed on is that contamination can occur during the processing. I looked at some Tesco ones the other day and the warnings included 'may contain nuts'. A friend who eats a gluten-free diet recommended these Mornflake branded oats to me.
They pride themselves on the purity of their product and I have switched to these for all my oat cooking.

This recipe is adapted from a 1950's edition of Good Housekeeping which mum informs me was an engagement present from my dad, I don't think she was overly impressed at the time!
They are a cracker type biscuit similar to oatcakes.
  • 4oz oats
  • pinch of bicarbonate of soda (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 1 1/2oz butter
  • boiling water

Preheat the oven to 200c

Mix the dry ingredients.

Melt the butter and mix with 1 tablespoon of boiling water.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter mix.

Mix to a soft dough using additional boiling water as needed.

Roll out thinly and cut into 8 pieces (or form individual biscuits by hand as I have).

Place on a greased tray and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until golden. They go from cooked to overcooked very easily so keep a close eye on them.

Eat them as plain savoury biscuits or use as crackers with soup. If your diet allows they are great smeared with honey or Marmite.


** Kate **

No comments: